Position Type: Food Pantry Lead
Position Type: Non-exempt/part time (20 hours a week)/Temporary
Reports To: Strengthening Families Manager
Growing Home is dedicated to creating a thriving and equitable north metro Denver – one family at a time. Our participant-centered approach to strengthening families, nurturing children, and connecting community fills a critical gap for families and children who are experiencing immediate and long-term barriers to stability and success. Through evidenced-based programs, we improve outcomes for children, their parents, and their community. Our model makes us a leader in the two-generation approach to poverty alleviation and community equity.
Mission: To guide children and their families on the path to a brighter future.
Vision: We envision our community working together so that all children and their families have a place to call home, food on the table, and the opportunity to pursue their dreams.
Core Values: Respect, Effectiveness, Learning, Collaborative Leadership, Professionalism, and Inclusiveness.
The Food Pantry Lead will help support the daily food pantry service as it provides food and resources to the north metro Denver community. This position is instrumental in the operation of the food pantry and will work with the Food Distribution Coordinator to operate the Growing Home food pantry. This person will work with the Food Pantry Team to collaborate on planning and implementation of a dynamic and responsive, participant centered Food Pantry.
This position will provide guidance and support to volunteers to ensure the receipt and storage of food donations, adherence to food safety standards and best practices, the welcoming of participants, the documenting of visits, and delivery of services. This person will also guide and support volunteers in supplying food to food distribution.
This is a temporary position that will last until December 31, 2020 and have the possibility of renewal, depending on the needs of the Food Pantry.
- Provide guidance and support to volunteers to receive daily food rescue and store it adequately
- Work with the Food Distribution Coordinator to make daily decisions about what food will be distributed
- Facilitate a daily huddle with volunteers to cover the food being distributed and any changes that will affect service
- Meet with the Food Distribution Coordinator and other Food Pantry Leads to coordinate services
- Support the food pantry work including food rescue, preparing produce, premade, and frozen food to be distributed and support volunteers in resupplying the distribution of food
- Work with Food Distribution Coordinator and other Food Pantry Leads to coordinate the preparations for the next day’s service including preparing supplies
- Maintain a clean and sanitary environment following health and food safety best practices
- Provide assistance in food pick ups on a backup basis
- Facilitate and participate in packing boxes for food distribution.
- Support food distribution by jumping into any volunteer positions as needed.
- Meet regularly with the Food Pantry Team to discuss and troubleshoot aspects of the food pantry service.
- Provide guidance and support to volunteers to set up the distribution of food.
- Provide new volunteer orientation as needed
- Provide daily health checks to volunteers as needed
- Support food pantry service and provide support to volunteers working to manage traffic, check in participants, and distribute food
- Work with the Food Pantry Team to collect information and log participants visits into electronic databases.
- Adhere to all safety protocols, including those related to COVID-19.
- Experience in coordinating groups and group projects.
- Experience and passion for food access and justice work within a diverse community
- Excellent oral, leadership, and interpersonal skills. In particular, the ability to understand and organize detailed information and to write about or talk extemporaneously on that information
- Organized, efficient, and able to balance competing priorities
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs and be on feet 4-5 hours a day
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates are preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work as an integral part of a team while operating with a high level of independence, autonomy, and trust
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Valid driver’s license, auto insurance, and ability to drive a large vehicle
- Ability to work Saturdays and holidays
Hours of Work & Location:
- Hours of Work: This position is part-time, 20 hours a week. Hours will be scheduled during the Food Pantry’s normal operating hours (Monday-Saturday, 10am-12pm). A typical schedule will be 5 hours (8am-1pm), 4 days a week).
- This position is temporary, with an end date of December 31, 2020. Depending on the needs of the Food Pantry, there is the potential for a longer term.
- Location: Work will be primarily be performed at Growing Home Food Pantry.
Salary and Benefits:
- Optional 403(b) plan with 5% match after 1 year
- Positive, friendly workplace
- Growing organization; ongoing opportunities for professional growth and development
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with Growing Home Food Pantry Lead in the subject line.
Growing Home is committed to an inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.